Double-clicking a document in Windows

Chipp Walters chipp at chipp.com
Sun Feb 23 19:33:01 EST 2003

Hi Graham,

You can't easily open a doc in an already opened application by
double-clicking on the document, because it will launch another instance of
the application. What you need it 'intra-application communication' for
instance: when the app launches, it checks a temp txt file to see if an
instance of itself is already opened, if it is, then it sends a message to
the other app (via the same text file and/or some sort of polling mechanism)
to open the newly requested file.

There's actually a RunRev user group setup to try and build an OpenSource
implementation of the 'intra-application' protocol and libray...but there's
not much done on it yet.

So, the short answer is it's currently very difficult to do this in Windows.

Here's a tip on "Creating a custom icon for Windows"

http://www.altuit.com/webs/altuit2/RunRev/Tutorials.htm

-Chipp