Visual effect anomaly

Graham Samuel livfoss at blueyonder.co.uk
Sat Feb 22 17:32:00 EST 2003

I have a rectangular area on a card which is used to cover a number
of objects. The cover can be 'opened' or 'closed' via a button with
this toggle script:

if the visible of cd grc "scPicShutter" is true then
     lock screen
     hide cd graphic "scPicShutter"
     unlock screen with visual effect Checkerboard fast
   else
     lock screen
     show cd graphic "scPicShutter"
     unlock screen with visual effect Checkerboard fast
   end if

The strange thing is that the closing ('show') always shows the
visual effect, but the opening ('hide') never does. I can't see from
the documentation why this should be so. Can anyone explain it, and
suggest a workaround?

TIA

Graham