Why doesn't a stack open with the UI

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Fri Feb 21 14:26:01 EST 2003

On 2/21/03 12:24 PM, Ken Norris (dialup) wrote:

> That's right. Why is it like that? If I open a stack out of a folder which
> is _not_ a standalone, the UI does not open with it. Even if I close , or
> even if I leave it open and click on the Rev app in Rev's own folder, the UI
> refuses to open.
>
> IMHO, if a stack is not a standalone, then it should open with the UI, or at
> least have it available, and also, you should be able to quit Rev, but you
> can't.

The behavior is intentional and useful. To see how your stack will run
without the development environment, you can double-click it in the
Finder and it will run exactly as it would if you had compiled it as an
app. This is very useful, and is still the only way to preview a stack
application in MetaCard. Revolution added the "Suspend Development UI"
option to its menus to accomplish the same thing. Since the behvior is
directly coded into the engine, it is unlikely to change and can't be
avoided -- and a discussion on the MC list a while back indicated that
most people don't want it to. However, as a response to that discussion,
MetaCard added an option where Command-clicking a stack in the Finder
will open the stack with the development environment loaded, which
allows you to choose how it will open.

The default behavior of the engine is to quit when the last window is
closed. If you are still seeing Revolution in your application menu
after closing the last visible window, then you probably have an
invisible stack open somewhere. If you plan to open your stack from the
Finder often, then it might be a good idea to insert a handler into the
visible stack that closes all other stacks at the same time the visible
one closes. Then Rev will quit.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com