full screen, switch cursor, player-object Ques

Klaus Major k_major at os.surf2000.de
Wed Feb 19 07:11:01 EST 2003

Hi Scott,

> Hi,
> I'm sorry if these questions have been anwered before, but I've
> searched the archives w/ Google and did not find what I'm looking for.
> 1. How can Rev run full screen in Windows and hide the taskbar, and
> the top of the window, w/ only a drop down menu at the top that would
> appear on MouseOver?

You can add these lines to your stackscript:

on preopenstack
   set the backdrop to 0,0,0 ## or any other RGB value
   ## will hide the background/desktop with any color
   ## and also hide the taskbar...

   ## to make it work on a MAC, too, you will have to add:
   ## hide menubar

   set the rect of this stack to the screenrect
   ## will make your stack as big as the screen
end preopenstack

> 2. I know how to have the cursor switch on a MouseOver, but how can we
> use our own images for a cursor switch? I want to make my own hand
> cursor that points left and right and up, ala Myst & Riven.

There are some limitation for custom images used as cursors.

The mac platforms only supports cursors of size 16*16 pixel.
Windows and Linux 32*32 on windows.
These images must only contain 3 colors, black, white
and one that will be transparent.
(See: cursor in the documentation...)

!!!
Hint: Create a black and white and transparent GIF in your favourite
image-editing app, import this image into your stack (NO referenced
image)
then choose any tool of the paint-tools, do only ONE click on your image
and undo this action immadiately.

So nothing has happened actually...

This way the image will be forced to be converted to the internal
image-format
of RR and so will work fine as a cursor :-)
!!!

To set the cursor, jsut set the cursor to the id of your custom image

set cursor to 1033 ## your id here, of course...

> 3. I'm trying to figure out sounds in Rev, and from what I've read I
> am confused on the difference between  "player-objects" and just "play
> audioclips."

A player offers more possibilities to control a sound than a shere
"play ac xxx"
and you can support more soundformats with a player.

Once you set the filename of a player you can play that sound just by:

start player xyz

I don't know if this limitation still applies, but "play ac xyz" will
only let
you play ONE sound at the same time, with players you can start as much
players as your CPU will be able to proccess...

That means when you fire the command "play ac zyx" while another sound
is
playing, that sound will immediately stop.

Do some testing, maybe that limitation does not exist anymore.

> Is a player-object created w/ the tool in the bottom right of the tool
> menu?

Yes.

> Thanks,
> Scott Waddell