How do I use customProperties

Graham Samuel livfoss at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Feb 12 13:03:01 EST 2003

On Tue, 11 Feb 2003 20:04:14 -0800 "Jeanne A. E. DeVoto"
<jeanne at runrev.com> wrote:

>Graham, have you read the "About properties, custom properties, and
>property sets" topic in the documentation? I think it might answer some of
>your questions in this area.

Jeanne, thanks for your interest: I did you an injustice. I have to
admit that I read this at the beginning of my work with Revolution
and then didn't look at it again. If I had, I would have known about
the 'customKeys' property. There were only a few things I have wanted
to know (so far) which aren't in that article, and I found them by
experiment:

1. Do I get an error if I try to access a property that doesn't
exist, or is perhaps the new property created, as it is with 'set'?
The answer is "no" and "no", and furthermore no 'getProp' message is
sent, but if the non-existent property is part of an assignment
statement, like

   get the myMysteryProperty of grc "gr1"

the variable (in this case 'it') becomes empty.

2.What kind of list do you get from the 'customKeys'? The answer is a
return-separated list (each property name is on a different line).

Graham