Configuration Management of built apps

Monte Goulding monte at sweattechnologies.com
Mon Feb 10 20:23:01 EST 2003

> Once worked with IBM Visual Age for Java. Other than being slow and
> using a monstrous amount of RAM, it was a pretty cool IDE. Every
> resource in the project was version controlled, automatically. No
> messing with CVS or anything. So in the course of developing your
> project, it would create a Library with the entire history of changes
> documented and you could revert or visit snapshots at any step of the
> way. This type of functionality, and also a nice "diff" viewer for
> scripts would definitely get my $.

I'm not sure about automated history but it would certainly be possible to
store the changes in an objects properties (say at the end of every
session). Perhaps it would be best to let the user just take a snapshot of
all objects when they feel it would be useful? Personally I'd probably want
to link some notes to the snapshot.

One of the main things I'm looking at is distribution management. If I had
access to this kind of history data I could work out which files needed to
be distributed in an upgrade.

Monte