Another printing question

Graham Samuel livfoss at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Feb 10 04:59:01 EST 2003

On Sun, 9 Feb 2003 14:23:25 -0800, "Jeanne A. E. DeVoto"
<jeanne at runrev.com> wrote:
>At 1:57 PM -0800 2/9/03, Graham Samuel wrote:
>>According to the Transcript Dictionary, the 'revShowPrintDialog'
>>command only works for revPrintField or revPrintText. How then do you
>>force a print dialog to appear when you print a card (or cards) on a
>>Windows-based system?
>
>Check out the answer printer command.

Jeanne, I did look at 'answer printer' - as far as I understand it,
this produces the 'Page Setup' dialog or windows equivalent. I'm
looking for the 'Print' dialog, which allows the user to select the
number of copies to be printed etc. On the Mac and Windows, these are
generally different dialogs (look at MS Word for example), although
the functionality may overlap (for example you may be able to choose
the paper size via either of the dialogs).

As I said before, I'm just trying to make my app behave like
thousands of others on these platforms as far as printing is
concerned. A typical app allows  'Page Setup' at any point in the
program, and 'Print' when you actually want to initiate printing. In
many apps, the 'Page Setup' settings are remembered across
invocations of the program, although I admit this is not so
consistent but rather depends on the app. If one does want to include
this functionality, then of course it is necessary to be able to
store the state of properties of the printing device as last set by
the user or by the system, which in turn means you've got to be able
to read either the individual properties or else to read and store
some object which represents the printer driver. I am not clear if
Revolution 2.0 helps with this, which is one reason why I'm still
asking questions about maximum printable area.

Graham