Flash integration - sort of...

Bradley Borch brad at activadesign.com
Sun Feb 9 19:31:01 EST 2003

On Sunday, February 9, 2003, at 12:02  PM,
use-revolution-request at lists.runrev.com wrote:

> getURL("http://127.0.0.1:8181/$HelloRev$", "_blank");
>

> So, Rev is 'listening' for a request on port 8181 of IP 127.0.0.1
> (which is
> the local machine - you don't need to change this IP address as every
> (?)
> computer uses this IP address as its own reference - the loopback IP).
> When
> the Flash button is pressed it sends a request to the Rev stack which
> parses
> the parameter and puts the result into the field. Rev then returns a
> string
> which currently appears in a browser window, but I'm sure someone more
> competant in flash could do more with this...
>
> Hope this helps.

Umm... thanks, Gary, but I'm just a humble multimedia guy, and the
port/IP address stuff is a little beyond me. I was thinking of
something a bit more direct. My goal is to actually include the swf
file as a QuickTime movie playing in rev to send commands to the rev
environment at play time. Presumably it would be the same kind of
command coming from a "wired" QT movie created in, say, LiveStage.

I've been experimenting with a particular swf clip, an interface with
some nice elements (multiple dynamically created movie clips, clips
that track mouse movements, etc.) This file works fairly well in Rev;
the animations track nicely in rev 1.1 but the buttons only respond
about 10% of the time to a mouseUp, and that only after 5-10 seconds.
Interestingly, the mouseDown response is instantaneous. The situation
is reversed in rev 2, with the buttons responding correctly but the
animations extremely sluggish. If folks are interested, I'll post the
swf file to mess around with.