Storing images

Geoff Canyon gcanyon at inspiredlogic.com
Sun Feb 9 19:23:01 EST 2003

Excellent! I've added this to the wiki at:

<http://wiki.macitworks.com/revdocs/ShowingImagesAtMultipleSizes>

If anyone has any additions, refinements, comments, etc., you are all
able to edit the page freely (no login required). Jim, if you don't
want it there, feel free to delete it.

gc

On Sunday, February 9, 2003, at 03:25 PM, Jim Hurley wrote:

> I have a small addendum to the Storing Images discussion. If you wish
> to have icons of a given image displayed with varying sizes on
> different cards, there was a way of doing this suggested by Sannyasin
> Sivakatirswami. In his method all images are stored once in a
> substack. Those images then become icons resized on PreOpenCard.
>
> This is  a variation on that method which is just a little simpler (it
> doesn't require a closeCard handler) and produces a nice border around
> the image by simultaneously resizing the  button.
>
> On each card there is a preOpenCard handler:
>
> On preOpenCard
>    resizeImage "imageOne", 1.5 --Image name and the degree of
> magnification
>    --Likewise for the other images
> end preOpenCard
>
> The handler "resizeImage" is stored in the  stack script of the
> substack and reads as follows:
>
> on resizeImage theImage,theMagnification
>   --Reset the image size on the substack card to the desired size
>   set the defaultStack to "imagesSubstack"
>   put the imageSize of image theImage into theImageSize
>   set the width of image theImage to theMagnification*item 1 of
> theImageSize
>   set the height of image theImage to theMagnification* item 2 of
> theImageSize
>   --Set the button size to fit the image size
>   set the defaultstack to "images"
>   set the width of button theImage to 1.05*theMagnification*item 1 of
> value(theImageSize)
>   set the height of button theImage to 1.05*theMagnification*item 2 of
> value(theImageSize)
> end resizeImage
>

> Where each image has been assigned a "imageSize" property which is its
> default width and height.
>
> The handler will resize the image in the substack, and that image
> becomes the icon in the like-named button in the main stack.
>
> The button whose icon is the image is also resized to just fit (just a
> little bit extra--1.05--makes for a little better appearance) around
> the image as a border. You can have your cake and a border too.
>
> Jim

regards,

Geoff Canyon
gcanyon at inspiredlogic.com