Group disappeared (was More about images)

Jan Schenkel janschenkel at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 9 05:45:01 EST 2003

--- "Ken Norris (dialup)" <pixelbird at interisland.net>
wrote:
> ***********
> > Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2003 22:54:31 -0800 (PST)
> > From: Jan Schenkel <janschenkel at yahoo.com>
> > Subject: Re: More about images
>
> > Hi Ken,
> >
> > Let's see if I got this right:
> > - there's one large image with all the keys in
> their
> > "DOWN" position
> > - and you only want to show a small portion of
> this
> > image, at a specific place on the card
> ----------
> That's right.
> ----------
> > If that's correct, the solution I described ought
> > work properly:
> > - when you resize a group, this doesn't resize its
> > contents but rather, it acts as a window, only
> showing
> > the part of its contents you want to display.
> ----------
> I never would have guessed that. If I understood how
> and why it works that
> would help.
> ----------
> > - you'll have to set its lockLocation to true, or
> it
> > will resize the first chance it gets ; and you'll
> have
> > to set the rect of the group to the size of what
> you
> > want to display.
> > - then you can control which part of all that's in
> the
> > group is displayed, by controlling the hScroll and
> > vScroll properties of the group.
> > - if you need to display it at different positions
> on
> > the card, set the topLeft property of the group ;
> this
> > has no effect on the displayed part of the group.
> ----------
> LockLoc of the group? I guess I'm confused. I
> thought I had to resize it in
> the handler to fit each "key" (button) anyway. The
> handlers look like this:
>
> on theKey -- in the stack script
>
>   -- the image is designed so the "keys" match the
> button rects
>   -- so we can match it up if the original group
> image is properly set
>
>   set the rect of group id 1017 to the rect of the
> target
>
>   -- Now set the position it displays
>
>   set the hScroll of group id 1017 to the left of
> the target
>   set the vScroll of group id 1017 to the top of the
> target
> end theKey
>
> ...the button script looks like this:
>
> on mouseDown
>   theKey
>   show group id 1017
> end mouseDown
>
> on mouseUp
>   hide group id 1017
> end mouseUp
>
> ...I just tried it with one button, and I can see it
> work OK, but it didn't
> quite align like it should have. I tried to show the
> [...]

Hi Ken,

First of all, try to see if the group is still there
by using the Application Overview. It may just have
run offscreen.
If it's till there, try the following:
  set the rect of group "Foobar" to "100,100,200,200"
  set the hscroll of group "Foobar" to 0
  set the vscroll of group "Foobar" to 0
And slowly rebuild from there. Also, to fix the little
offsets you see:
  set the margins of group "Foobar" to 0

At any rate, your script looks just fine to me, and
ought to do the trick. Hopefully we can fix the last
quirks for you :)

Jan Schenkel.

PS: I've had some strange effects when using groups as
well, though I've never been able to pinpoint them : a
group with a script that conrained the line 'start
editing me' and would halt right there, claiming there
was no such group.

=====