Norton Internet Security (NIS) and Post command failure

Tariel Gogoberidze PMDA at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 7 22:17:01 EST 2003

 > Date: Sat, 08 Feb 2003 00:55:04 +1000
 > Subject: Re: Norton Internet Security (NIS) and Post command failure
 > From: "valetia at mac.com" <valetia at mac.com>
 >
 > Hi Tariel,
 >
 > Can you confirm that this happens *also* with Revolution standalones,
 > or does it just happen with MC?
 >
 > Also, does it only affect POST commands, or also GET?
 >
 > Valetia
 >
 >> There are problems with MC access to internet with Norton
 >> Internet Security (NIS) installed on Win XP. NIS must
 >> be uninstalled, not merely turned off.

 >> Our users with windows XP and NIS installed  can't send post
 >> command. Sometimes Norton asks for permission to allow MC
 >> standalone to work but then blocks it anyway.

I guess I can confirm it indirectly.
It affects post/get commands of MC v. 2.3.2 through 2.4.3 with latest
libUrl 1.0.8b1. The same thing if we are using our own Post handler
bypassing LibUrl

MC v 2.3.2 engine = Rev 1.1.1 engine
MC v 2.4.x - 2.5 engine = Rev v 2.0 engine
Both are using same libUrl.

So, logically it must affect Rev as well

According to Rich Herz...

 >The problem I've seen is:  after 1st
 >socket of session times out, 2nd socket connection attempt fails,
 >although after wait of approx. 7 minutes with MetaCard (v. 2.4.3,
 >libUrl 1.0.8b1) still open, a second connection can be made.

I understand that this problem must be addressed to Symantec rather than
to MC or Rev teams, but I posted it here in hope that somebody have a
workaround to this problem that allows to disable NIS or "teach" it to
ignore libUrl calls.

I don't have computer with win XP and NIS to research this but our users
with this config can't connect for sure. They tried to disable NIS but
this doesn't help. Only uninstalling solves the problem

Below are some extracts from user feedback

--
 > I also discovered that after disabling and ending some
 > of the processes, if you restart, NIS restarts the processes again
 > and there is no way to stop it from doing that, short of a complete
 > uninstall. It is necessary to disable NIS and turn off all NIS
 > processes manually every time you want to use program.
 > additionally,  my copy of NIS came bundled with Norton
< AntiVirus, (with the computer}, so I had to disable both to
 > truly disable NIS, leaving me with no a/v protection at all while I
 > was online with the program.

That's all I currently know about this issue

Best Regards
Tariel Gogoberidze