testing the waters

Bradley Borch brad at activadesign.com
Thu Feb 6 12:47:01 EST 2003

Brrr from Maine...

I'm new to rev but not to multimedia, been doing it since it was
videodiscs, using Tencore, Quest, etc. Been using Director for about
six years (too long) now, got burned by investing time & energy in
Oracle Media Objects. I'd appreciate any thoughts or help in getting
going (I took a HyperCard class in '88 -- eons ago in digital media
time).

1) Can rev serve as a replacement for Director?

2) (related to 1) My most recent Dir CD had a lot of Flash animation,
and I never used the Dir timeline for animation at all, just "go the
frame" stuff. Can I take the same approach in rev using Flash export to
swf 5 (the latest that QT 6 supports) and still have some control
within the flash animation? I did a test and got mixed results. Any
user experiences using rev as a multimedia player with Flash embedded
as QT would be most helpful.

3) How does Rev compare to iShell? I tried iShell but it felt really
constraining. I know they're different animals, any specific
observations would be great.

TIA for your input.

Brad Borch