QT Movies playing roughly

Jan Schenkel janschenkel at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 4 16:40:01 EST 2003

--- Graham Samuel <livfoss at blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> On Tue, 4 Feb 2003 04:44:32 -0800 (PST) Jan Schenkel
>
> <janschenkel at yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> >Hi Graham,
> >
> >A few things spring to mind:
> >- Is it possible that another object overlaps the
> >player ?
> >- What's the setting of the 'alwaysBuffer' property
> of
> >the player and the stack ?
> >
> >Jan Schenkel.
>
> Hi Jan
>
> Thanks for the interest. The alwaysBuffer of the
> mainstack, the
> substack in question and the player objects are all
> set to true. I'm
> not sure what you mean by 'overlap', but naturally
> as the user drags
> the player object it passes across a number of other
> objects -
> usually rectangular graphics without scripts in
> them. The players
> never enter each other's space, as it were, although
> they are
> sometimes asked to play simultaneously (this doesn't
> seem to be a
> problem in itself).
>
> Do underlying objects get messages saying the
> drag/grab is taking
> place? If so, I could try to investigate these.
>
> So far then, no real answer - but thanks again.
>
> Graham
> --

Hi Graham,

Even though buffering eliminates flicker, it takes up
cpu-time and memory, so that may actually be slowing
the display down, especially in low-memory situations
where the OS has to swap memory to hard disk.
As for overlapping: what I mean is if one of the
rectangles goes straight 'through' a player object ?
Because then RunRev has to do extra work: it has to
get the frame from QuickTime, and then draw the piece
of rectangle over it, and it has to do it every frame
it shows.