Storing images

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Tue Feb 4 15:06:00 EST 2003

>> I finally understand this thread.  I couldn't figure out how "set the
>> icon of button 1 to myImage" could possibly be described as inelegant
>> (especially relative to HC's resource fork and pict external).

> Perhaps "inelegant" isn't the word, but it can be cumbersome to set
> the button icon to the image if you want to use different sizes on
> different card. You need a preOpenCard handler on each card on which
> the image appears in order to set the size of the image on that card.
> (If you lock the position and size you needn't worry about  the
> location. That is held fixed. But you can reset the size through the
> script even though the  imaged is lock.)

If I understand the intent of your comment, you should consider using
groups.  If you want an image to appear on every card, simply place it in a
group whose backgroundBehavior is set to true.  This way the image will
appear on every card that contains the group with no preOpenCard necessary.
If you want a card with no image, simply remove the group from that card.

> A more elegant or less cumbersome solution (and idiot proof for the
> end user) would be to embed the single images in some "secret" place
> from which they might  be referenced and a different size  and
> location for the image could be locked  on each card.

Again, a group is one solution.  Or, place all your master images into a
substack "library" and create images and/or buttons that reference the
substack.

The methods for storing and displaying images in Rev/MC are actually very
numerous.  And with the recent introduction of PNG support, there's now
almost nothing that Rev/MC can't handle.  (Granted, my own wish is to have
irregular masks for image display, but there are workarounds for this.)

If anyone is running into a specific problem, post it to the list -- I'm
sure one of the knowledgeable people here will offer a solution.

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director
Tactile Media, Multimedia & Design