[OT] - Mac OS X Unix book

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sat Feb 1 05:59:00 EST 2003

Derek Huby wrote:

> Also, in some obscure way, Revolution can do some useful stuff in this
> world...

And maybe not so obscure.  Given the speed and flexibility of the engine, C
could be relegated for operating systems and only core routines of
applications.  A smart large company could save significant costs by
building something like, say, GoLive by using Rev to handle 90% of the UI
and then hooking into the window content region with an external for
computationally-intensive stuff like GoLive's Layout mode display.

But even just using native Transcript can deliver a significant subset of
applications that are currently built with C at an exponentially greater
cost.

My MetaCard-based WebMerge application has been mistaken for being C++-based
more than once.  Maybe that's not that far out of line, given that in such a
high-level tool your scripts are only a small part of what's going on, with
most of the action taking place in highly-optimized C++ in the engine.

> So, I bought a book. I've just received 'Unix for Mac OS X', a 'Visual
> Quickpro Guide' by Matisse Enzer, published by Peachpit press. The contents
> look hopeful, and I'm quite optimistic that in 520 pages time I might
> actually understand some of the things that the Unix experts are writing
> about. Any other Unix-naïve (or is that Unix-innocent ?) OS X users of
> Revolution might consider giving it a look. (I own no shares in the
> publishers!)

Me neither, but I've been impressed with the instructional design of the
Visual Quick Pro series for some years, and have found them a greay way to
get a quick grok.

Didn't know about the "Uix for Mac OS X" book -- thanks for posting that.

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Fourth World Media Corporation