Converting a PicHandle to format for use with imageData

Thierry Arbellot thierry.arbellot at wanadoo.fr
Mon Dec 29 17:29:07 EST 2003

I have written an external to drive a video grabber, and copy the
bitmap into the imageData of an image object.

the GWorld must be 32 bit pixel depth and with the same resolution as
the image in Rev

*(GetPortPixMap(GWorld)) return a pointer to the PixMap
in the PixMap structure, baseAddr is a pointer to the bitmap, that can
be copied into the imageData of the image object in Rev.

Before manipulating the bitmap, even just for copy, it's needed to lock
it with
LockPixels(GetPortPixMap(GWorld))

and to unlock it after use
UnlockPixels(GetPortPixMap(GWorld))

So, the code should look like this:

int				retvalue;
MCstring	rdata;

GWorld	theGWorld;
Rect		trackFrame;
PixMap	*thePixMap;

trackFrame.top = 0;
trackFrame.left = 0;
trackFrame.right = 320;	// if image is 320*240
trackFrame.bottom = 240;
NewGWorld(&theGWorld,32,&trackFrame,nil,nil,(GWorldFlags)0);

// here put your code to get the image from the movie and put it into
theGWorld

LockPixels(GetPortPixMap(theGWorld));
thePixMap = *(GetPortPixMap(theGWorld));

rdata.sptr = thePixMap->baseAddr;
rdata.length = 320*240*4;
SetVariableEx(args[0],"",&rdata,&retvalue);

UnlockPixels(GetPortPixMap(theGWorld));

in Rev

local theImageData

callTheExternalFunction "theImageData"

set the imageData of image "theImage" to theImageData

I have not tested this code, I hope there is no mistake.
Good luck.

Thierry.