Stack shift on 800X 600 Display on OSX

Sannyasin Sivakatirswami katir at hindu.org
Wed Dec 24 23:40:53 EST 2003

Well, I think now we can distinquish two issues. the clipping of the
bottom of the stack is a one... and is in our other thread... this is
different... this has to do with  opening a substack into the same
window ID as the main stack, which by the way was my way of opening a
splash screen and then moving to a substack... (see your other thread
on that subject) The advantage being that this seems to be the only way
you can add a visual effect to the transition.

Unfortunately there is a a "gotcha" at 800 X 600 and it appears both on
Mac OS X and Windows:

At 800 X 600 the substack does not open in the exact same location as
the splash screen, but jumps up by the distance of the title bar of the
splash screen stack.

anyway, I needed to wrap this project up.. I switched to the hide and
show stack strategy, but then Locking and unlocking the screen also
caused havoc, the screen would not completely update and pixels from
the stack that was being hidden were appearing to clip the top stack
that was begin shown... work around: remove all such shinanigans and
  and two lines of code with a nice effect turns into 5 lines with an
abrupt screen cut. But this works fine.

    --visual effect dissolve very fast
     --open  stack "dws Intro" in window "dws youth"

     put the loc of this stack into tPresentLoc
     go invisible stack "dws Intro"
     set the loc of stack "dws intro" to tPresentLoc
     hide stack "dws youth"
     show stack "dws intro"

that works... As for the height clipping, we learned our lesson...
follow the old presentation developer's guideline for video and slide
production "Stay away from the edges!"

Sannyasin Sivakatirswami
Himalayan Academy Publications
at Kauai's Hindu Monastery
katir at hindu.org

www.HimalayanAcademy.com,
www.HinduismToday.com
www.Gurudeva.org
www.Hindu.org

Tom wrote:

+++++++
FWIW,

800x600 on my G4 15" laptop does that bottom cut off thing and is fine
in XP and 2000. I adjusted my stack to fix this at startup to handle
this on 800x600 screens BUT now on XP I have too much space at top and
bottom. It appears 800x600 is not the same in all worlds to me.

I wonder if OSX has issues with 800x600 screen sizes???

Or it's a bug. :-)

Tom
+++++++++