evaluate the "it" variable in an external

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Mon Dec 22 03:09:41 EST 2003

On Sunday, December 21, 2003, at 08:08 PM, J. Landman Gay wrote:

> On 12/21/03 11:54 AM, Dar Scott wrote:
>
>> On Sunday, December 21, 2003, at 02:50 AM, Alex Rice wrote:
>>> But the it variable contents disappears before I get fetch it. I've
>>> tried GetVariable, GetGlobal, EvalExpr, put it into tAnotherVar, >>> etc.
>> Sometimes I execute the command I want with EvalExpr with merge() and
>> <?.
>
> I understand how the merge function evaluates expressions, but I don't
> understand when I'd need to use "<?...?>". Do you have an example of
> when that's handy?

Aw, Jacqueline, I shouldn't be babbling when I can't remember and can't
take the time to check it out.

I think at one time I had trouble executing some commands in the right
context in an external.  I think I found that EvalExpr() worked when
other functions did not have the right context.

I think in general (ignoring externals), <?...?> is handy when the
functions needed are really commands, such as replace or binaryDecode
or convert.

Dar Scott