High-Order ASCII Alphabet & Other Keyboard Edits

Rob Cozens rcozens at pon.net
Sat Dec 20 13:11:50 EST 2003

>Perhaps the reason you are having trouble finding info on high-order
>ASCII is that there is no high-order ASCII as obnoxious purists like
>me are quick to point out.
>
>Here is a document that has helped me get my bearings on character
>code issues:
>
>       http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/chars.html

Hi Dar,

I visited the URL and a few links (unfortunately the one that sounded
most promising, "Guide to the Use of Character sets in Europe",
returned "Page not found."); but my ignorance is not alleviated.

There is an alphabet for every language.  There must be a way to
filter keyboard input to reject keys that are not part of the
alphabet, or a subset thereof.

This is not an issue of key translation between two computers; rather
the focus is on filtering keyboard input on the user's computer to
reject keystrokes that are defined as illegal for the current input
field.
--

Rob Cozens
CCW, Serendipity Software Company