put to stdout in standalone?

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Fri Dec 19 13:29:03 EST 2003

On Friday, December 19, 2003, at 11:05 AM, Alex Rice wrote:

> I often use "put" to write stuff to the message box for debugging. In
> a standalone, this content is apparently missing. On OS X it does not
> appear in the console.log. Is this a bug with the standalone engine?
>
> Where does it go on OS X?

I use "write <val> to stdout", especially when sneaking up on a crash.
It goes to the console.

You might want to make a custom command that checks an error reporting
level and the environment and decides which methods to use (message
box, dialog box, stdout or a combination).

> Where does it go on Windows?

I don't know where it goes when an application is double-clicked.  I
have used stdin and stdout when running a gui-rev from a command line,
but it was very buggy and IIRC ran into the classic Revolution
ambiguity of empty and end.  I think I was told that use of stdin and
stdout in that manner was not appropriate use of Revolution.

Dar Scott