OODB

Alex Rice alex at mindlube.com
Fri Dec 19 12:00:11 EST 2003

On Dec 19, 2003, at 9:33 AM, Chuck Pelto wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> Is anyone here familiar with Object-Oriented Data Base systems? And is
> there anything like one that can be hooked to via Revolution as a
> front-end?

Probably not. But that might not be a bad thing depending on what you
really need.

OODBMS refers to programming systems where the database storage is kind
of "persistent" objects. They only be accessed via the native
programming language- e.g. Java, Smalltalk, etc. See
<news:comp.databases.objects>. There is no standard for OODBMS and the
vendors existing are fast changing and much hyped. Be careful!

SQL on the other hand is standardized and so most or all relational
databases support SQL.

Object-relational (as opposed to OODBMS) refers to creating a
connection between any old relational database tables via SQL and
programming objects (Java, Smalltalk, C++, etc). This is
"object-relational mapping". This is a much more conservative and
common way to use "objects" with a database.

Something a bit different is, is PostgreSQL. It's object-relational,
but the E-R part is supported on the server side, so it's more
object-oriented I guess. So in additional to being a great SQL database
it has type extensibility, language extensibility, and table
inheritance features. <http://postgresql.com/>

In PostgreSQL you can define your own data types, and have tables
inherit from other tables. For example the PostGIS project adds spatial
and geometric types and functions to the the standard SQL features. One
still uses SQL but adds in in the special data types and function
names.

See also: Why Aren't You Using An Object Oriented Database Management
System?
<http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=01/05/03/1434242&mode=nested>

Hope this helps,

Alex Rice <alex at mindlube.com> | Mindlube Software |