Why need "card" to specify field?

Jan Schenkel janschenkel at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 16 14:29:23 EST 2003

--- Andrew Duncan <aduncan at expertcity.com> wrote:
> In a stack imported from a HyperCard stack, I need
> to prefix a
> reference to a field with the word "card". E.g.
> evaluating 'the rect of
> field "x"' in the message box fails with "no such
> object" but
> evaluating 'the rect of card field "x"' works.
>
> In other Rev stack I've created, the word "card" is
> not necessary.
> Rereading the Rev Dictionary info for HC
> programmers, and about
> importing stacks, I see nothing about this. Looking
> in the dictionary
> for the "field" keyword and the field objects says
> nothing about this.
> Searching for "card field" turns up nothing.
>
> Why is this extra word necessary?
>
> Andrew
> aduncan at expertcity.com

Hi Andrew,

When the HyperCard stack was imported, Revolution
automatically set the 'HCAddressing' property to true,
to allow older scripts to work properly.
When you create a new project, Revolution will set
this property to false ; hence the difference in
behaviour.

Hope this clarified it,

Jan Schenkel.

=====