Setting IP-properties.

Gunnar Wallier gunnar at wallier.com
Sat Dec 13 17:04:56 EST 2003

> On Thursday, December 11, 2003, at 11:55 PM, Gunnar Wallier wrote:
>
> > I want to create an application that can set the IP-adress, netmask
> > and default gateway of my own computer. Can this be done with
> > Revolution?
>
> I have not done this, but this looks like a useful capability, Gunnar.
> I would welcome (on this list or direct) hearing how this works out.
>
> Platform?  Are these changes intended to survive reboot?
>
> On Windows Revolution can make registry changes, run programs (shell),
> make system calls in an external and change I/O driver files (as
> administrator).
>
> On OS X Revolution can use AppleEvents/AppleScript, run programs with
> shell, make system calls in an external and presumably change
> appropriate files.
>
> On Mac OS Revolution can use AppleEvents/AppleScript, make system calls
> in an external and perhaps change some files.
>
> There is a similar capability on Linux.
>
> So, I think the answer is yes.  Now, "how" is another question.
>
> (BTW, the IP address, netmask and default gateway are all TCP/IP
> properties of an adaptor and a computer might have more than one
> adaptor.)
>
> Dar Scott

>      Dar Scott Consulting
>      http://www.swcp.com/dsc/
>      Programming Services

OK, I'll add some more information.

The system is W2k. The application is to be used by service tecnicians
moving around between different equipments, each with a unique IP-adress.
The equipment does not have a DHCP so we need to set the IP-adress of the
PC, to have it on the same IP-network as equipment. This also means that the
change does not need to survive a reboot. The PCs only got one adaptor.
I'll try with setRegistry.. Problem is just in which position of the
register to make the setting.

/// Gunnar