Stack Size and loc for 800 X 600 displays

Sannyasin Sivakatirswami katir at hindu.org
Fri Dec 12 00:47:15 EST 2003

I seem to have blundered in assumptions about what stack size will
really work, practically speaking, on 800 X 600 displays.

A stack size of 800 by 566 set to the screenloc on start up on OSX on a
800 X 600 display appears with it's title bar underneath the menu
bar... and the bottom of the stack is cut off. Opening a second stack
in that same window behave differently... the second stack jumps up and
the title bar disappears under the menu bar.

Obviously I should have played with this carefully at the beginning, as
i put a group of buttons along the bottom edge of the stack that simply
disappeared below the screen.... fortunately there is plenty of
vertical breathing room in the design to make the stack height
smaller...

800 x 555 with a stack loc set to 400, 325 seems to work well.

but, before I go inventing this wheel,  I am guessing that some of you
out there have already got the cross platform presentation stack sizes
and locations already wired. I am looking for an optimum set of values
that I can just use for everything. do we have to think about vertical
toolbars on windows? if so, how many pixels is that off the max width
of 800? i.e. should the optimum stack size for 800X600 displays for all
platforms be something like 760 X 550? And if so does "set the loc of
this stack to the screenloc" work for all cases? I've had enough
feedback to know that most presentors want to be able to access their
menus, toolbars etc. and yet still be able to see the whole
presentation....  what do you recommend from your experience?

TIA

Sannyasin Sivakatirswami
Himalayan Academy Publications
at Kauai's Hindu Monastery