legendary Monks liberated by Revolution

Brian Thomas runrev at rivertext.com
Tue Dec 9 19:37:30 EST 2003

"Legendary Š almost defies description" was
MacUser magazine's description of the original
1988 HyperCard classic, If Monks had Macs.

"If Monks had Windows -- they'd jump out of
them!" was the reaction of the first programmer
that I talked to about moving If Monks from Macs
to Windows. That was in 1995 -- long before the
Revolution.

Over the following decade I tried...

::  MacroMedia Director
     (they built the Bob Dylan CD-ROM in director
and you couldn't even do a simple find thru
Dylan's lyrics!)

:: Quicktime Interactive -- HyperCard as a front end for Quicktime
    (vaporized)

:: OMO, Oracle Media Objects
    (you couldn't build a sensuous believable
world that linked interconnected stacks  - our
library has 24 volumes)

:: the beta of SuperCard for Windows
    (there was a reason it was never released)

:: mTropolis
    (cool, but you can't build applications and it's been dead for many years)

And finally, MetaCard and Revolution. And, I have
to say, after all I've been through, these
programs do Windows well. What a joy it was to
move files over to Windows time after time and
know they were going to work perfectly. (I can't
resist saying if only OS X had been that easy --
but I think it probably is that easy NOW. Windows
had been conquered long before I started using
MetaCard and now OS X will be that way for new
users.)

So, 15 years later, the longest running project
in the history of interactive media has arrived
thanks to the MetaCard and Revolution teams, the
beta testers ...

and the If Monks programmers:

:: RICHARD GASKIN of Fourth World Media
Corporation helped tie most of the project
together and developed two amazing applications.
First, our unique threaded journaling
application. (With our threaded journal you can
shape the way you look at yourself and your
world.) AND second, Sophie, our new e-book reader
which you can learn more about and download from
FourthWorld.com:

http://www.fourthworld.com/products/sophie/index.html

:: TUVIAH SNYDER moved the journal onto
Revolution, developed a new game for us AND was
invaluable as a MetaCard and then a Revolution
employee helping us make the "MYST" like opening
with its seamless integration of HyperCard and
Quicktime work, well, seamlessly.

:: JEANNE DeVOTO programmed the way our giant
images of the Tower of Babel scroll smoothly and
elegantly across the screen AND served as
technical coordinator for the conclusion of the
project.

:: JACQUELINE LANDMAN GAY, during one of the many
delays in the project, programmed many of the
features she had developed for her own solitaire
games into "Killing Time," the game that Tuviah
helped me develop. Killing Time, is a solitaire
game for monks. Now everyone can "kill time
without injuring eternity" -- everyone can
practice safe-solitaire."

:: SARAH REICHELT responded to a question
addressed to this list a couple of weeks ago
about how I could overcome issues with the long
time it takes OS X to learn to associate files
with their applications. I hired her to write the
AppleScript she suggested and was able to ship on
schedule.

------------

So, what is If Monks...?

A hearty stew of interactive books, games, art,
music and more, you can find out more about If
Monks had Macs here:

http://www.rivertext.com/

The only other thing I wish to say is that if
anyone asks you, "Can Revolution do stylish
innovative cross-platform CD-ROMs that include
games and sophisticated intellectual tools?"

The answer is yes.

--
Brian

http://www.rivertext.com/

If Monks had Macs - the director's cut
is now shipping for Windows as well as Macs