Drag n Drop Objects in Flash vs. Rev

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Thu Dec 4 01:32:59 EST 2003

On 12/3/03 9:48 PM, Judy Perry wrote:

> I just checked this link out.
>
>>From what I read, it's a much  more verbose solution and the only
> advantage I see mentioned is that it prevents the user from dragging an
> object out of bounds (whatever that means -- out of its intended target?
> Off the card?).
>
> Am I understanding it correctly?

Continually polling the mouse location in a repeat loop uses up a lot of
system resources. In MacOS (before OS X) it wasn't as big a deal because
the Mac didn't really multitask and so you weren't holding up any other
apps very much by hogging the event queue with a long repeat loop. But
on all other OSs, tying up the event queue with non-stop polling can
cause problems with other background tasks. The more efficient (and
Raney-approved) method is to use built-in Rev messages to do the polling
for you.

I explain it more here:

  http://www.hyperactivesw.com/polling.html

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com