cross-platform compress & decompress

Mark Brownell gizmotron at earthlink.net
Mon Dec 1 18:19:25 EST 2003

Hi,

I've read everything I can find in the archives and I'm wondering if
anyone has solved the cross-platform compress & decompress problems. I
would like to create a compressed text file on Mac X and open &
decompress it on Windows, the same goes for make on Windows & open on
Mac. I'm not sure but it looks like the different charSets for each OS
seems to be the problem. Anyway when I try to open made on Mac in
Windows the file is not recognized as being compressed. I've tried
stripping the header before decompressing with no luck. Perhaps a
cross-platform compress/decompress is in the works soon? I solved these
charSet OS issues in cross-platform encryption by converting to numbers
within the entire encryption/decryption process. This took the relative
positions of the different chars in charSets out of picture until the
final rendering takes place.

Mark Brownell