Limit of chars in a field

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sun Aug 31 01:24:01 EDT 2003

Anthony Kouvousis wrote:

> My application calls for storing in one line the coordinates for a graphic to
> draw (like
> set the points of grc x to fld "myField"). I was under the impression that the
> chars
> limit of a fld was way above HCs 30000 limit. Here on a single line we have
> 937 X 5 =
> 4685 chars and the field can not display them!

Bad news:  While Rev lets you store up to about 4GB per field, it only
allows 64k in any given line (this also holds true for the sort command).

Good news:  Polygon points in Rev are stored with each point on a separate
line, so you should have no trouble storing the points list for even complex
polygons.

But I'm curious:  Given the arduousness of editing points from a list, do
they need to be displayed?  Might tucking them in a custom property suffice?

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Fourth World Media Corporation