textFont inheritance bug on Windows

Alex Rice alrice at arcplanning.com
Fri Aug 29 11:57:01 EDT 2003

On Friday, August 29, 2003, at 09:26  AM, Dar Scott wrote:

>> Dar you are perhaps thinking of #66, "emptying the textFont also
>> empties textSize and textStyle". It was closed as a feature. What
>> Raney said in bug #66 makes sense.
>
> I was not convinced.  I guess the dataflow guy in me was expecting a
> functional 'effective'.
>
> I think the bugs are philosophically related.

They both involve inheritance of the text* properties but since it
seems to do the right thing on OS X...

> Changing one property changes the other instead of letting the
> functional relationships bubble up.

I agree.  But if Scott thinks there was good reason for implementing it
the way he did then. OK! This is a nuance of text properties I sure
wasn't aware of until I read the bug report. What other object
properties come in clusters like this where setting one property can
also change related properties?

Scott Raney says:

"This is a feature.  When any of the font, size, or style are set, the
remaining
two values are taken from the parent object.  Which means there would
be no way
to clear these values all the way back to fully inheriting from the
parent
unless setting one of the three to an empty value also cleared the
other two.
We chose to make setting the textFont to empty perform this operation."

Alex Rice, Software Developer
http://ARCplanning.com