OT: Myst

James.Cass at sealedair.com James.Cass at sealedair.com
Thu Aug 28 17:25:00 EDT 2003

> which was capable of splitting render jobs across several networked macs.

Now you too can make your own Mac Cluster with "Pooch"!
Now you'll have something to do with all those dual G5's you ordered.  ;-P

http://www.daugerresearch.com/pooch/recipe.html

-James

|---------+------------------------------------->
|         |           "Edwin Gore"              |
|         |           <edgore at shinra.com>       |
|         |           Sent by:                  |
|         |           use-revolution-admin at lists|
|         |           .runrev.com               |
|         |                                     |
|         |                                     |
|         |           08/28/03 06:03 PM         |
|         |           Please respond to         |
|         |           use-revolution            |
|---------+------------------------------------->
  |       To:       use-revolution at lists.runrev.com                                                                              |
  |       cc:                                                                                                                    |
  |       Subject:  OT: Myst                                                                                                     |

For Myst II I believe they did - they went out and blew all the money from
Myst one on SGI Onyx's, as I recall.

Myst was modeled using a combination of the Strata modeler and (I think)
the Amapi modeler, then rendered entirely on Macs using the Strata
renderer, which was capable of splitting render jobs across several
networked macs.

Before Myst came out, the then new Strata Studio Pro shipped with a 10 or
15 minute "Making of Myst" quicktime movie on the install disk. Everyone in
the graphics department I worked in sat in slack jawed amazement when they
started showing the sample images from this upcoming game nobody had ever
heard of before.