Getting cross-platform IP address

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Wed Aug 27 20:25:00 EDT 2003

Yay!

On Wednesday, August 27, 2003, at 06:13 PM, Scott Slaugh wrote:

>>> set the itemdel to ":"
>>> get HostNameToAddress(item 1 of the address)
>>>
>> I think the goal is to get the primary IP address of the computer not
>> of a connection.  I may be confused there, too.
>
> I do know that if you run the above script on a PC with two network
> adaptors
> in it, it returns two network addresses.  It does seem to be detecting
> the
> fact that there are multiple IP addresses.

I can't read!

I did not read your script right.  Thanks for responding to my dumb
reply!  (In an environment in my dark past, variables were prefixed
with 'the' and I kept reading a variable name, not a property.)

And this works on my OS X, too.

This also provides a hint as to why hostNameToAddress() does not work
with my computer name.  It needed ".local" after it.  Maybe my computer
name is not what I thought.

I assume you are on Windows.  What OS?

BTW, on OS X getting the text up to the colon is not needed; it works
with all of the address.

Now, for Mac OS 9...

Dar Scott