local host does not see broadcast on OS X

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Wed Aug 27 18:09:00 EDT 2003

On Wednesday, August 27, 2003, at 02:50 PM, Dar Scott wrote:

> I have a small sockets stack that listens on a UDP port (accept) and
> sends datagrams to that port on an IP address.  If the address is
> broadcast, the behavior is not consistent among platforms tested.
> This applies whether the broadcast is general (255.255.255.255) or
> subnet specific (for example, 10.99.255.255)
>
> If the local computer is included in the broadcast specification
> (which it always is in the general broadcast), the datagram is
> received on Windows XP and on Mac OS 9.2.  But it is not on OS X.

To clarify, a broadcast from Mac OS 9.2 or Windows XP shows up on OS X
and a broadcast from OS X shows up on those.  So, OS X can send and
receive broadcasts, but not to/from the same computer.  (Well, my tests
are limited:  not from the same program on the same computer.)

Dar Scott
     Dar Scott Consulting
     http://www.swcp.com/dsc/
     Programming Services