local host does not see broadcast on OS X

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Wed Aug 27 17:17:01 EDT 2003

On Wednesday, August 27, 2003, at 03:31 PM, Alex Rice wrote:

> Total guesswork here...

Thanks!

> In the BSD man page for sendto(), it seems that broadcast datagram
> sends have to be explicitly enabled by the caller with this flag
>
> #define	SO_BROADCAST	0x0020		/* permit sending of broadcast msgs */
>
>  [EACCES]           The SO_BROADCAST option is not set on the socket,
> and
>                         a broadcast address was given as the
> destination.

The broadcast works for other computers and I don't get an error, so
this does not seem to be exactly the problem.  However, I have been
wondering about some other, more obscure, flag that we never heard of.

At this point I don't know if the problem is in sending or receiving
because another datagram sockets bug makes it hard to do some testing.

> How this information relates to the Rev engine I guess scott or tuviah
> could answer.

I plan to bugzilla as either a bug or an enhancement, depending on
to do what seems reasonable to me.

I'm open to arguments that Mac OS and Windows have to change to make it
all consistent on all platforms.

Do those man pages use the phrase "remote computer" when referring to
broadcasting?

Dar Scott