local host does not see broadcast on OS X

Alex Rice alrice at arcplanning.com
Wed Aug 27 16:37:03 EDT 2003

On Wednesday, August 27, 2003, at 02:50  PM, Dar Scott wrote:
> To my thinking the OS X behavior is goofy.  Now it comes to my mind
> that maybe that behavior, goofy or not, is traditional on unix.
> (Maybe some folks would think it very irreverent to describe TCP/IP
> behavior as goofy on a descendent of BSD unix.)
>
> Anybody know what is up here?

Total guesswork here...

In the BSD man page for sendto(), it seems that broadcast datagram
sends have to be explicitly enabled by the caller with this flag

#define	SO_BROADCAST	0x0020		/* permit sending of broadcast msgs */

  [EACCES]           The SO_BROADCAST option is not set on the socket,
and
                         a broadcast address was given as the
destination.

>  Does this happen on linux, too?

Can't confirm, but I don't see equivalent options in the Linux man page
for sendto(). Guessing maybe Linux doesn't have the limitation.

How this information relates to the Rev engine I guess scott or tuviah
could answer.

Alex Rice, Software Developer
http://ARCplanning.com