release history; what is a feature release?

Robert Brenstein rjb at rz.uni-potsdam.de
Wed Aug 27 04:12:02 EDT 2003

>  > Runrev, here is your release history. Under the current licensing model
>>  which of these would have been called maintenance releases and which
>>  would have been called feature releases? 2.1 and 1.1 are the
>>  non-obvious ones. 2.0 clearly was a feature release.
>>
>>  Version 2.1:   August 25, 2003
>>  Version 2.0.3: August 22, 2003
>>  Version 2.0.2: July 14, 2003
>>  Version 2.0.1: June 4, 2003
>>  Version 2.0:   May 26, 2003
>>  Version 1.1.1: April 2, 2002
>>  Version 1.1:   November 5, 2001
>>  Version 1.0:   July 1, 2001
>>
>>  My boss just asked me if we should get the SBE renewal license or the
>>  new Studio license  and I told him that I really have no idea which
>>  would be a better value.
>>

>Hi Alex
>
>I wouldn't count anything prior to the 2.0 release in your reasoning here.
>2.1 is a feature release. My understanding is the numbering scheme goes:
>major.feature.bugfix
>
>I've commented on the improve list (without any reply) that unless there are
>a minimum or 4 feature releases per year that the Enterprise Edition is more
>expensive to maintain than the Studio Edition. Two Studio Editions could be
>upgraded 3 times per year for $294. One Enterprise Edition can be maintained
>for $299.
>
>It should be noted that Since the release of 2.0 RunRev has managed 3 bugfix
>releases and a feature release in under 3 months. All this while attending a
>number of trade shows, buying MC and changing the licensing scheme.
>Therefore one would assume that RunRev intend to deliver on the 4 feature
>releases per year.
>
>If it were me and I had two months up my sleeve I'd wait and make sure the <
>3 month cycle continues.
>
>Regards
>
>Monte

It is nice to get new features each quarter but at the same time, as
the above timetable nicely illustrates, each feature release is
followed by a couple of bugfix releases. Keeping up an aggressive (as
in frequent) feature release schedule practically warranties that
some bugs slip through. I personally can't afford being in more or
less regular upgrade/bug-hunt/bug-fix cycle. So I dare to say that 2,
top 3, feature releases per year are enough. What that means in terms
of licensing costs is another story.

Robert