release history; what is a feature release?

Jeanne A. E. DeVoto jeanne at runrev.com
Tue Aug 26 19:34:03 EDT 2003

At 3:09 PM -0600 8/26/2003, Alex Rice wrote:
>Runrev, here is your release history. Under the current licensing
>model which of these would have been called maintenance releases and
>which would have been called feature releases?

Releases of the form X.0 and X.Y are feature releases (major and
minor, respectively). 1.0, 1.1, 2.0, and 2.1 are all feature releases.

Releases of the form X.Y.Z are maintenance releases: 1.1.1, 2.0.1,
2.0.2, and 2.0.3 are of this type.

>My boss just asked me if we should get the SBE renewal license or
>the new Studio license  and I told him that I really have no idea
>which would be a better value.

Well, with the SBE renewal license you get the same Studio version,
but with the ability to develop on all platforms (not just one) and
all updates for a year (instead of just the first feature release).
So I'd say that's a better value if you're eligible, which you are if
you originally bought SBE.

(There's an overview of options in the docs, by the way - see "About
upgrading Revolution from a previous version". This might be helpful.)
Jeanne DeVoto ~ jeanne at runrev.com ~ http://www.runrev.com/
Runtime Revolution - User-Centric Development Tools
~~~ Check our web site for new Revolution editions & special offers ~~~