release history; what is a feature release?

Monte Goulding monte at sweattechnologies.com
Tue Aug 26 18:35:01 EDT 2003

> Runrev, here is your release history. Under the current licensing model
> which of these would have been called maintenance releases and which
> would have been called feature releases? 2.1 and 1.1 are the
> non-obvious ones. 2.0 clearly was a feature release.
>
> Version 2.1:   August 25, 2003
> Version 2.0.3: August 22, 2003
> Version 2.0.2: July 14, 2003
> Version 2.0.1: June 4, 2003
> Version 2.0:   May 26, 2003
> Version 1.1.1: April 2, 2002
> Version 1.1:   November 5, 2001
> Version 1.0:   July 1, 2001
>
> My boss just asked me if we should get the SBE renewal license or the
> new Studio license  and I told him that I really have no idea which
> would be a better value.

Hi Alex

I wouldn't count anything prior to the 2.0 release in your reasoning here.
2.1 is a feature release. My understanding is the numbering scheme goes:
major.feature.bugfix

I've commented on the improve list (without any reply) that unless there are
a minimum or 4 feature releases per year that the Enterprise Edition is more
expensive to maintain than the Studio Edition. Two Studio Editions could be
upgraded 3 times per year for $294. One Enterprise Edition can be maintained
for $299.

It should be noted that Since the release of 2.0 RunRev has managed 3 bugfix
releases and a feature release in under 3 months. All this while attending a
number of trade shows, buying MC and changing the licensing scheme.
Therefore one would assume that RunRev intend to deliver on the 4 feature
releases per year.

If it were me and I had two months up my sleeve I'd wait and make sure the <
3 month cycle continues.

Regards

Monte