repeat for each....

Mark Smith mark at maseurope.net
Mon Aug 25 07:52:01 EDT 2003

This is driving me barmy...can any kind soul here explain why this
works:

on tryLoopWith
   put "a,b,c,d,e,f" into charList
   repeat with n = 1 to the number of items in charList
     put item n of charList into line n of newCharList
   end repeat
   put newCharList && "with"
end tryLoopWith

but this throws up a 'bad chunk expression" :

on tryLoopFor
   put "a,b,c,d,e,f" into charList
   repeat for each item n in charList
     put item n of charList into line n of newCharList
   end repeat
   put newCharList && "for"
end tryLoopFor

I haven't yet been able to make the 'repeat for each...' structure work
at all, not even once, in any circumstance, in a year of trying it from
time to time. I can find nothing in the electronic docs to help me. I
am mystified.

TIA,  Mark Smith