Release Candidate 1 Available -- Special Offers End Soon

Heather Williams heather at runrev.com
Sat Aug 23 15:19:01 EDT 2003

>> I don't think we have any plans to withdraw this offer in the short or
>> medium term, but in the long term obviously, we are likely to stop
>> supporting the subscription model in favour of the new licensing. You should
>> be pretty safe to wait until December, but if we do have any plans to
>> discontinue the subscription renewals, we will certainly tell everybody and
>> give you a last chance to renew.
>>>

> Hmm, now this is confusing. You say that your new licensing model is
> not subscriptions?! What is the difference? Are we now required to
> maintain valid license at all times? So far, we were allowed to renew
> even if it was expired.

Maybe I'm using confusing terminology. What I mean by the "subscription
model" is the kind of licensing system we've had where you buy a license for
a year, and get all upgrades free during that year (and before anybody asks,
no, that doesn't mean your Revolution will stop working after a year, it
just means you don't get any more free upgrades). Enterprise still works
that way: buy an Enterprise license or renewal and it includes all upgrades
for a year. However, Studio and Express are now single version licenses. You
buy a license for the shipping version of Revolution only, and purchase
further upgrades as and when you need them. Actually, to be strictly
accurate, you get one free upgrade with Studio, and then you have to start
paying for them. Express gives you no upgrades at all.

We are maintaining the subscription model for the moment, for existing
customers only, who hold licenses to 2.0.1 or earlier.

The question of renewal after expiry is a different issue. To date we have
never required that you maintain your license at all times, and I can't see
us doing that. We'd prefer you to renew within a reasonable time interval of
course...

Regards,

Heather
--
Heather Williams ~ heather at runrev.com ~ http://www.runrev.com/
Runtime Revolution - User-Centric Development Tools