[OT] How to turn on echo or date/time UDP services on OS X?

Steve Gehlbach steve at nexpath.com
Fri Aug 22 18:43:00 EDT 2003

Dar Scott wrote:

> I'm testing some UDP sockets code in some Revolution stacks and it would
> be handy to test it with the simple Internet services echo and/or
> date-time.

I've done some of this with my own server in RR, but AFAIK you have to
be root:

     accept datagram connections on port "67" with message gotBPMsg
     if the  result is not empty then
       answer "Network function failed: " & result() & return & "You
must run as root on Linux for socket operations."
----

Anyone know a way around running a socket server as root (well, on Linux
and I assume Mac OS X)?  Works fine on Windows as any user, which is why
worms and viruses like it so much.

-Steve