AW: Linux double click

Alex Rice alrice at ARCplanning.com
Fri Aug 22 10:07:00 EDT 2003

On Friday, August 22, 2003, at 04:33  AM, claus at dreischer.de wrote:
> wild guess: set the execute permissions to that file.
> The OS does not know, that your file is to be executed.
>
> do a "chmod 755 XXX" in the console, with XXX is your filename.
> This will make it readable and executable for anybody.

That would be my guess too. But for learning Unix file permissions, I
would not start off not using the octal codes, instead use the
shorthand like this

chmod +x file -- makes xecutable for owner
chmod o+x file -- makes xecutable for others
chmod a+x file -- makes xecutable for all
chmod +r file -- makes readable for owner
chmod o+r file -- makes readable for others
chmod a+r file -- makes readable for all
chmod +w file -- makes writable for owner
chmod o+w file -- makes writable for others
chmod a+w file -- makes writable for all

substitute - for + to remove the permission instead of adding it.

Fortunately Unix window mgr/ desktop software now usually has a file
browser that can set file permissions by clicking too.

Alex Rice, Software Developer
http://ARCplanning.com