Stacks in Motion

Geoff Canyon gcanyon at inspiredlogic.com
Fri Aug 22 02:35:00 EDT 2003

On Thursday, August 21, 2003, at 01:01  AM, Mathewson wrote:
>   I had a slightly daft idea for a children's game using
> moving substacks......  however there seem to be one or 2
> problems.....
>
>   I have put 'BOUNCER' at the top of my list of files on my
> website and would be grateful for any feedback.

First, I've written a stack that does very nearly what you appear to be
heading towards. It's complete, but not in my hands at the moment. I
believe it will be available shortly.

That said, (at least) two things are stopping you at present.

First, you hard-coded the stack name in the script, so if you have two
stacks open, one of them is working as you intended, while the other is
just sitting there and trying to move the first one. Fix: change the
code to read "move this stack"

Second, your code is in a repeat loop. This doesn't give any time to
anything else, not even another stack running the same greedy loop.
Fix: change the code to issue the move command and then exit. Put a
moveStopped handler in place to set up a new move command when the
stack stops.

regards,

Geoff Canyon
gcanyon at inspiredlogic.com