Scenario

Dan Shafer dan at shafermedia.com
Thu Aug 21 12:57:01 EDT 2003

Javier Miranda V wrote:

> My first thought was to use FileMaker as the database and some weblog
> software to run the collaborative part and maybe the portal (I am
> taking a close look to pmachine the sw the people at revjournal are
> using).
> Now I have begin to wonder where RR can be used, I'm sure there are
> things RR can handle with efficiency and ease of use.
> Any ideas?

A couple of thoughts.

First, I'm in the process of deploying an Internet-based FileMaker Pro
solution for a client who happened already to have a bunch of data in a
FMPro database. It's not only non-trivial even for someone who knows
FMPro well, it's full of little traps and undocumented pitfalls. And
the resulting interface is not fast enough at all. I plan to convert
the FMPro database to mySQL and change the app as soon as I can. So for
just one bit of anecdotal evidence, I'd say stay away from FMPro.

You might want to look into building your entire network service around
a product called Web Crossing (http://www.webcrossing.com), which
combines collaborative tools with a fully self-contained object
database and features a world-class blogging tool that is trivial to
setup and run and integrate. Because Web Crossing supports XML-RPC and
has all the features of a full-blown web/app server, you can have one
platform that you can build cool RR interfaces to.

Web Crossing isn't free and there's a learning curve but it's less
steep than learning several different servers. It even includes FTP and
mail.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Dan Shafer, Revolutionary
Author of forthcoming 3-book set,
"Revolution: Programming at the Speed of Thought"
http://www.revolutionpros.com for More Info