XML Data sources

Tuviah Snyder tuviah at runrev.com
Thu Aug 21 11:13:01 EDT 2003

>I guess it depends how deep/complex the XML tree goes.  I am in a
>similar situation.  From my previous use of Java my preference would be
>to build an array (or some other collection-type structure) of objects
>from the XML tree.
Performance should be better actually keeping it in a tree, if the data is
complex. It certainly will take as much if not more memory to store it in an
array. As XML support gets integrated into future versions of Revolution, it
can also serve as a way to store and iterate through complex structures.

libxml which is what revxml is built on top of, can access individual nodes
and iterate through the tree extremely quickly as is demonstrated by the
xml-tree view sample. It supports the sax and dom.The only reason I can
think of dumping the xml tree is if your reading a large document and don't
need the majority of data in it. In this case I would advise using the sax
based callback mechanism (revxmlstarttree,revxmlendtree, ect)  to populate
an array, or whatever with just the stuff you data you want to keep.

Tuviah Snyder <tuviah at runrev.com> <http://www.runrev.com/>
Runtime Revolution Limited - Software at the Speed of Thought