The Stack Metaphor

Steve Anderson Steve_Anderson at paradise.net.nz
Wed Aug 20 09:18:00 EDT 2003

Hi there

I am very new to Revolution and am still trying to grasp the idea of
designing software around stacks and cards.  Bruce Eckel's 'Thinking in
Java' book really did work!

I am creating an electronic version of the Quran (Islam's Bible) and
would like some advise on how to proceed.

I have opted to store the contents of the Quran in XML files rather
than a database as this will mean a very simple installation process
for the end users.  Each XML file would contain a chapter of the Quran
(114 chapters in all), each chapter varying in length from just a few
verses to almost 300.  The software would allow the user to traverse
(backwards and forwards) through the Quran, one verse at a time and
would keep a record of the verses visited during any one session (much
like a web browser).  It is important these features be implemented
through direct use of Revolution's capabilities wherever possible,
rather than being custom built by me.

Coming back to the subject of this posting 'the stack metaphor' how
should I implement the above?  Should I create a card for each verse
(based on a template)?  Or should I create a single card, whose fields
I update to show the current verse?  If I opt for the single card
approach will this force me to create code to remember the verses a
user has traversed, rather than just using Revolution's built in
ability to traverse a stack?

Thanks in advance.

Steve

Mac OS X... http://www.apple.com/switch