DB Access in standalones

Monte Goulding monte at sweattechnologies.com
Tue Aug 19 23:35:01 EDT 2003

> I had great hopes for this, but it didn't work. What handler did you put
> the "start using" command into? I tried putting it into the preOpenStack
> script of the splash stack. Technically we should never have to "start
> using" the mainstack in a standalone because its scripts are always in
> use anyway, so if this worked for you it is an unusual requirement. But
> I carried on.
>
> My stack setup is nearly identical to yours. Splash stack becomes the
> standalone mainstack, DB libs in a substack. The externals property is
> set on the mainstack. I was previously closing the main stack before
> going to another stack, and your hint made me think this could be the
> problem. I  think (but am not sure) that closing a stack removes its
> externals from memory. So I left the mainstack open as well as started
> using it. Still didn't work though.

Hi

The Dist Builder sets the externals property of the standalone stack for you
during the build so you don't need to do anything except make sure that the
destroyStack of the standalone stack (splash) isn't true. Externals exit
when the stack they are referenced from is removed from memory.

Regards

Monte