US copyright

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Tue Aug 19 10:45:01 EDT 2003

John Tenny wrote:

> You CAN register your copyright to avoid any legal hassles by two
> people who both claim copyright, but it's not required. A cheap way
> that one can do the same thing is to put the product in an envelope and
> mail it to yourself. The postage cancellation on the UNOPENED package
> serves as proof of copyright date.

<disclaimer as required by California state law>
"I am not an attorney.  If you need an attorney you should consult the
services of a qualified professional in your area."
</disclaimer>

The mailing-to-yourself option was a good one for many years, but if memory
serves it was tested in the 80s and failed as legal proof of date of
creation.

If you have questions about copyright and other legal issues, I can't say
enough good things about the fine folks at Nolo Press:  <http://nolo.com/>.

Searching for "copyright" at their site I found some good links covering the
basics:

<http://search.nolo.com:80/query.html?col=a2whole&qt=copyright&Search.x=0&Se
arch.y=0>

--