US copyright

John Tenny jtenny at willamette.edu
Tue Aug 19 10:08:00 EDT 2003

An earlier message said.... "Copyright in the US is quite different
from that in Australia. Over there
you need to register the software to claim copyright."

I'm not a lawyer (disclaimer, disclaimer, disclaimer), but when I last
checked into copyright, all that was required is that the creator print
the word "copyright" and the date on the product (the copyright symbol
is also acceptable) and it's copyrighted.

You CAN register your copyright to avoid any legal hassles by two
people who both claim copyright, but it's not required. A cheap way
that one can do the same thing is to put the product in an envelope and
mail it to yourself. The postage cancellation on the UNOPENED package
serves as proof of copyright date.

Note that a copyright is different from a patent, as the earlier
messages indicated. A copyright will not protect a process.

If you read the fine print on a product it will often say "Patent
pending", but never "copyright pending" as there is no approval system
for copyrights.

If this topic is important to you, don't pay any attention to any of
this. I'm not a lawyer and am just making it all up.

John