Anyone At All Using Valentina?

Chris Sheffield cm_sheffield at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 19 09:54:01 EDT 2003

A couple reasons.  Valentina is a lot easier to setup
and use.  All you need are the externals.  With MySQL
you have to have the MySQL server running in order to
connect to your database, which means that users of
your software must install and administer the MySQL
server on their network servers.  This server does not
run on all platforms (Mac OS X and some versions of
Windows).  So you couldn't create a standalone
database on a Mac OS 9 machine.  It just won't work.

Also mySQL costs big bucks if you plan to use it
commercially.  You have to pay license fees for every
copy of software sold.  Valentina is one flat cost.

I'm not saying MySQL is bad.  It's an awesome
database, and my company will most likely use it for a
networkable version of our software.  But Valentina
definitely has its strengths.

Chris Sheffield

--- Dan Shafer <dan at shafermedia.com> wrote:
> Poking around database support in Rev, I spent a bit
> more time looking
> into Valentina this evening.
>
> Is anyone out there using it? I mean, $200 for a
> database in an era
> when mySQL -- one of the best databases on the
> planet -- is free and
> ODBC connectors are also mostly free?
>
> So if someone's using it, I'd be mighty curious to
> know why. It doesn't
> seem to me to have any advantages at all.
>
> If it was $50 or less, I might license it just for
> testing locally, but
> I can set up a local instance of mySQL for free,
> so....
>
> What am I missing here, people?

=====
Chris Sheffield