Richmond, rudeness and commercial enterprise

Judy Perry jperryl at ecs.fullerton.edu
Mon Aug 18 22:40:01 EDT 2003

On Mon, 18 Aug 2003, Dar Scott wrote:

> Maybe the department can buy a $75 version and after seeing what you
> can do with that will insist you buy more.

Dar,

Bwa-ha-ha-ha-ha-hahahahahah!  Actually, I hold a valid license from the
Hypercard cross-grade days and plan to pay for the new analog license by
the end of the month.  I'm not laughing at your line of reasoning, though;
I understand that you are trying to be helpful.  But,  no, it all comes
out of my (actually my husband's) pocket.

> The processes that cause higher education costs to increase faster than
> inflation are the same ones that twist one's arm and encourage one to
> go to a state-funded school.
>
> Are you a grad student at Fullerton?

I am both a faculty member and a grad student (Lecturer in the Computer
Science department and grad student in the MS in Instructional Design and
Technology program where we have to use that ... [expletives
deleted] piece of software called Director MX.).

I had been using Hypercard to teach an intro course in multimedia
development for the CS department (why?  [a] it is aimed at CS minors who
really are not programmers; [b] HC is cheap compared to anything else
except Rev {read: the department agreed to pay for it after everyone
agreed what a total piece of crap ToolBook was}) but now use v. 1.x of Rev
and encourage each student (but require each team) to purchase one
student license of Rev for their semester group game project.

I will probably receive a lower grade, but my current semester project in
the MS program is a 'reflection' piece on a software development project;
I am going to argue how completely cross-grain it is to require people
with *NO* programming background to use Director and its C-like
dot.syntax.incomprehensible.crapola that only compiles on a single
platform at a considerable expense in comparison to something like Rev.

Stay tuned...

Judy